After lunch in Corpus Christi, we headed north to Bastrop State Park. We went through Nolan Ryan's home town of Refugio, and Goliad, where the Battle of Goliad was fought between Mexican soldiers and the Texas settlers in 1835. A little history lesson--a la Katie.
Now, I have to tell you something. I've never been camping before. I've never held a fishing pole. Until now. It only took me 31 years. We loved Bastrop SP, especially since it was about 3 minutes from civilization. Jeremy got me coffee both mornings down the road, and we had a good signal on the laptop, so I have to admit I checked my email once while we were there. Ha! It was a nice way to ease into the whole "roughing it" thing for me.
The cabin was great. Our view was spectacular. It was so quiet and peaceful (except for when Rose was throwing one of her fits). It was built in 1935 by the Civilian Conservaation Corps after FDR's New Deal. So cool.

Our view

Y'all, I just love this picture. This is the Liardon kid (minus Lucy) postcard for our trip. 
Fishing--The fish weren't biting, but it was fun. I can't imagine why they wouldn't be biting...all Rose did was throw rocks in the water, scream, and throw a temper tantrum.
We had a great time on our little getaway. We'll have to try the camping thing again. The kids loved it. I don't think I'd like to rough it any more than we did here, though. I'm a wimp. In the cabin next to us were the Ya-Ya's. 5 sisters, ranging in age from late 50s to 75. They were cute. They thought our kids were adorable, and Jeremy made them s'mores the last night we were there. I wonder if in 55 years, Anna, Rose, and Lucy will be camping together sans husbands and children?








4 comments:
Wow, that looks like fun! Great pics. Glad you had such a great time.
I love the picture of the 3 kids sitting in their chairs. Looks like the Liardon's fit a whole lot into a week long vacation.
Okay... camping involves tents, Katie! We have one. It's 11x14. I wanted the model with wiring (could even get lamps and A/C unit. My husband could only give me pathetic look when I tried to sell him on it.
Baby steps, Jennifer. Baby steps.
Post a Comment