It was quiet. There was just a handful of people there this morning. I was feeding Lucy and Rose was going back and forth from her seat to get a bite, to the play area to wave at me, back to her seat, and so on.
A group of teachers came in for a team building exercise. Today is "back to school day" for teachers. I always loved those days. Getting the classroom organized, inservice meetings, catching up with everyone after the summer. Loved it.
Part of their exercise was a photo scavenger hunt, and I overheard them saying they needed their picture taken. I offered to do it for them. I was the only one around. The team leader--I assume she was the team lead since she was extremely type A--said, "Oh, I wasn't going to ask you since you were feeding your baby." It was no biggie. I gladly took the shot.
Afterward, Lucy was finishing up her bottle, and Rose was given the 5-minute warning. We had places to go, people to see. (And by that, I mean to HEB to get floor cleaner, windex, and pledge for Felipa.) Some other teachers from the same school came in, and one was talking with Miss Chief, while the Indians finished their chicken minis. The new teacher mentioned she needed someone to take her picture, and the team leader said, "Oh, we just had that mom over there take ours."
That mom.
Wow. Is that my identity? For 6 1/2 years, that's been me. Now, don't get me wrong~~I love my vocation. I know that for me and my family, this was the perfect choice. But, when I heard her say that, a lump filled my throat. I wanted to shout to her, "Hey lady! Don't put me in a box! I'm a teacher. I'm a wife. I love making people laugh." I wanted to give her my impressive volunteer experience resume--I count box tops, for goodness sake!
But I just smiled. I'm proud to be that mom. I'm the mother of 4 of the coolest people I know. And for the time being, that's who I am. And that's okay. So, she can get her classroom ready. She can color-coordinate folders and make sure she has enough fresh dry-erase markers. I'll organize the playroom, change a hundred diapers, and thank God for blessing me with the best job opportunity out there.
12 comments:
that was the absolute best post that I have ever read..in fact, brought tears to my eyes...thanks for sharing...
Katie, your post made me laugh and cry at the same time-- you really are talented with your writing. You nailed it so perfectly, I am just in awe of you.
I feel exactly the way you do-- I miss teaching, but there's no way I'd trade my vocation for ANYTHING. I love my kids more than all the erasers and chalk dust.
You can tell others what I say, when I get asked what I do, I tell them I'm a mom EXTRAORDINARE!
To the people that know Katie, "just....anything" can't come close to describing her. I am not a mom, but I can understand the identity crisis that happens with the journey. Katie, you have just given voice, dignity, and insight to moms who aren't able to explain. And that is why I love you.
and what none of them know is that you were undoubtedly a better teacher than any of them. i know because i saw you and then tried to copy for 6 years. :)
from the back pew...
AMEN, SISTER!!!
Wow, nicely written!
So THAT'S what you're supposed to do when they give you classroom time! I always just go talk to the other teachers! To heck with organizing...why organize when you don't have that gene? Hee hee! Love you!
Okay, as I wipe away my tears (seriously!), I'm so proud to be your Mom! Obviously, Daddy and I raised 3 super daughters and #1 daughter has reduced me to tears...but happy ones -ha! Love seeing you all growing in your own special ways....
I wish I could join you in your vocation, maybe one day :)
I am happy to join you as "that mom".
well said. i enjoyed being "that mom" over the summer and now it is back to work...thank you for the post!
Best post ever. Thank you for encouraging all of us moms in the challenge that has been set before us. You are an amazing person...mom is certainly your number 1 title right now but you are good at everything you do. So when are you gonna take my advice and add "author" to your list of titles??
Post a Comment