Sunday, August 21, 2011

Sabbath Simplicity: School is starting

Their clothes are laying out and the tags have been cut from all the new backpacks. The kids met their teachers on Friday. Summer is officially over. School starts tomorrow.

At dinner we talked about all the fun we had this summer. Even though we didn't have a big vacation, it was still tops on our list. It was full of swimming, frozen yogurt, VBS, playing pretend, visiting grandparents, Disney Channel and Animal Planet, friends, family, staying up late.

I want to keep that relaxed, no-rush feeling going through the school year, even though we'll be busier. I have noticed that there are so many times that I rush my kids out of habit. I tell them to hurry, even when we're not in a rush to get anywhere. "Lucy, get in your seat. Hurry up, baby." How many times a day does that come out? And how often are we really in a hurry to get somewhere?


Even when life is busy, we're going to work on keeping it simple. Simply focusing on God and each other...simply loving each other...simply breathing when we feel rushed.

God, guide us through another successful school year. Show us the paths that we should be taking to live a life simply focused on you.

2 comments:

Cheryl said...

What a sweet post. We were just discussing this same topic today at work. It's a sign. I need to slow down and soak her in while I can. Thanks for the sweet encouragement, Katie.

Susan said...

You just spoke to my heart. I needed to hear that..