Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Totally Don't Get it Tuesday

Okay. Totally don't get how My Favorite Things became a Christmas song. Who decided that this Sound of Music song should be put in the radio mixes along with classics like "Blue Christmas," "Frosty," "Jingle Bells," etc? I mean, really?! It's a show tune!

Travel with me, if you will, to 1930s Austria. Maria is singing a song--during a scary thunder storm, and an invasion by Nazi Germany--to the Von Trapp children about things that will make them happy when they're feeling sad or scared. She is NOT constructing Santa's list. I repeat...NOT.


And while I'm on my tangent--soap box, if you will--WHO decided that Rod Stewart would be the perfect candidate to sing a cover of this song? Are you kidding me? If it's going to be in the playlist as a Christmas song imposter, it could at least be the Julie Andrews version.

Julie Andrews' voice--soft, warm, pleasing to the ears

Rod Stewart--Look at the guy. The ONLY show tune he should have stuck with was Pinball Wizard from The Who's Tommy.

There. I rest my case.
Photobucket

8 comments:

The Moser Fam... said...

I just about wet my pants reading this. You are so funny! I have heard "My Favorite Things" on the radio lately too...so weird! I will say though...Ben LOVES the Sound of Music and actually pointed out the fact that that song was on while we were at Toys R Us yesterday! :) Usually we are singing "Doe, a deer, a female deer
Ray, a drop of golden sun
Me, a name I call myself
Far, a long long way to run.." You get the point! :)

By the way, thanks for the sweet note on my "Silent Night" post. I have seen all the sweet comments you and your husband have left for Heidi on Kaiya's webpage, as well, and it is obvious she has a wonderful friend in you too! :)

Cheryl said...

This brings up another "I can't believe I didn't know that until now moment". I was never a SOM fan. While I had seen parts of the movie through the years, I never sat down and watched it in it's entirety until 3 years ago. As Maria was singing I thought, "She sounds a lot like Mary Poppins". I dashed to the computer and imdb confirmed that Maria and Mary were infact the same person. I was 25 when I made this discovery.

Mama/Linda said...

I totally agree with you, Katie! AND, my brother-in-law used to tell me that I had Rod Stewart hair...hurt my feelings!!!!

Abbe said...

I totally agree about the Favorite Things song, but I am glad that at least when I heard it was Julie and not Rod, yuck!

MELANIE said...

SO true, SO funny! Nice picture of Rod you found too...I totally don't get it either!!

Lauren said...

Oh Katie....you make me laugh soooo hard! I'm so glad that you're my sister. Life might be a lot more boring without you to entertain me! :)

Tammy said...

Okay, I agree with "My Favorite Things" not being a Christmas song. That being said, I have enjoyed humming to it on the radio because I LOVE the Sound of Music!

Jenny said...

Amen, Sister.