"Maybe the most any of us can expect of ourselves isn't perfection but progress."
~~Michelle Burford
So, you all know that my oldest is in Kindergarten. And I just can't believe that the school year is almost over! Well, it's been a year of firsts. For Thomas and for me. His first year at school, first year doing homework, riding the bus, first field day, etc. My first year with a school kid, first year supervising homework, signing folders, etc.
Well, guess what I did? I forgot one of my firsts. Moms and Muffins. It was last Friday. It was written on my calendar--big as Dallas--Moms & Muffins-7:15. I thought about it on the Sunday before, and maybe even Monday. Then I didn't think about it. I got on with my week. Took the kids to swim lessons, fed the baby and changed 100 diapers. Then, Friday I stood with Thomas as he caught the bus, waved goodbye, and got on with my day.
After dinner that night I was cleaning up and the kids were outside. I glanced over at my calendar, and that's when I saw it. My heart fell in my chest. I forgot. I missed my first Moms and Muffins.
I think for the most part I do pretty well with remembering. I can remember when each kid needs to go to the doctor for shots, family birthdays, paying bills, which class is winning the box tops competition at Anna's preschool, when the dogs need their heartworm pills, how many weight watchers points a grilled chicken sandwich at Chick-fil-a is, and the list goes on. But I forgot this?
This morning we had our very own Moms and Muffins. Well, he had 4 muffins, I had cereal (too many points to consume at 7:00 AM). When Thomas is in 1st grade next year, we'll be pros at the whole school thing. We'll know all about homework and the bus and family fun night. But we'll have a first to look forward to. Next May, come hell or high water, we'll be sitting in that cafeteria, enjoying each other and a (5 point) muffin. I can't wait.
1 comment:
Let me know when it is next year, and I'll come keep the other kids!! Cute story.
Post a Comment