9/11--Ike changed course, heading directly for Galveston; we were informed that school would be cancelled the following day for hurricane preparations; filled up my car with gas.
9/12--No school for kids; went to the store for rations (most was picked over); filled guest bathroom tub with water; took Thomas to violin at 2:00; knew we'd have a bad storm with high winds, but kept remembering we were 80 miles inland, and it wouldn't be too bad...
9/13--12:30 am-power out; 4:00 am-tree fell; 2-5 am-thought that the dining room french doors and windows in my bedroom would blow at any moment; prayed; 7:00-enough light to see damage on street-couldn't believe my eyes; still high winds and pouring rain, so nothing we could do but play Sorry! (kicked some you-know-what at that game, I might add); Noon-ate PB&Js; 1:00-neighborhood clean-up began in the rain (men sawed down trees, women had wine and watched the children); 7:00 pm-neighborhood feast next door (lots of grilling, and we have gas stoves)
The following days were more of the same. Lots of family time, lots of neighbors helping neighbors. Thank God for the cool front. We were able to sleep with windows open (which is almost always unheard of in Houston). I've heard dozens of stories of neighbors reaching out to give a hand. My next door neighbor, Carla and I actually got teary watching the guys removing debris in the pouring rain, with axes, chainsaws, and teamwork. It was awesome.
I came to Fort Worth because we still have no power, and shotty phone service. The kids and I are on a mini-vacay. The Fort Worth Zoo is even giving refugee discounts. There are others who had it much worse, and I pray for them as they recover. We were extrememly fortunate to be spared horrible damage.
Here's the tree on the house/in the flower bed--it was massive--at least 60 feet tall.


This shows you how long it was--it fell from the neighbor's yard

Jeremy--off to join the brigade

The firefighters came, but when they saw the men that came to help, they left to help other neighborhoods in need. Look close at the pouring rain. There were lots of trees like this in our neighborhood, making it impossible to drive in and out.




Sunday after clean-up--all debris pushed to the side of the road--Thomas went on a bike ride through the neighborhood with his friend, Lane, and her mom.

We had babies during the storm--10 Painted Lady Butterflies. It was a beautiful day Monday, so we released them in the front yard.


8 comments:
I'm glad you and the kids went to the Dallas area. It's going to be awhile before our nice tree-fallen area gets power. I was sad to hear that you guys had house and gate damage. Glad your neighbors are all helping each other, we met a lot of people we hadn't met before too!
Glad you are all safe!
Wow! It's crazy to see the aftermath pictures from Ike. Very surreal when you live far away from it all!
On a side note, I love your neighborhood with all the tall trees, so pretty!
I'm glad y'all got to come to Fort Worth! I'm sure your kids are having fun! Thanks for posting!
so glad you are all ok...and have moved to power. thanks for the post-i was missing you! keep us up to date...
Glad you all are safe with family, and it looks like your house will be fine. We still have no power, so just trying to take things one day at a time. Take care!
Very happy to hear that the Liardon's are safe and sound. I hope there was no major damage.
The only nice thing about Ike I can say was that we got to see you this week!! Glad the damage was minimal and most importantly y'all were OK!!
Post a Comment