"Do all things without complaining and arguing..."
Jeremy and I were talking last week, and he said, "I think the most underestimated sin is complaining." I thought he was on to something, and then a few days later, this was the verse of the day in my meditation book. Coincidence? Hardly.
There have been many things lately that have caused me to stop~sometimes just briefly, other times long enough to pray the rosary~to think about my blessings, which are abundant.
This morning I changed four poopy diapers by lunchtime. (I only have 2 in diapers~you do the math.) As I was changing the last one, I thanked God for my children. There are those with fertility issues, who I'm sure would love that chance. Or someone like Angie, who lost a child and will never get to change a diaper, hear her laugh, or wipe her tears.
There are many days where I let a busy schedule rule over me. I forget to hug my children, I don't pay attention when they're telling me a joke, I speak unkind words to my husband, I sit down at the table, pick up my fork, and eat without a blessing. I don't want to be like that. Lord, help me to be always thankful.
Susan's son, Logan was in a bike accident the other day, and was certainly protected by angels. He will be fine. I am reminded, though, of how quick things can change. I don't want someone to rememeber me as the complainer, the murmurer. Not a great legacy. I got sucked into a blog of a widower, raising his baby daughter alone, after his wife died suddenly before she held her precious little one. Every time I pick up Lucy, I think about that mother, and I thank God for each moment he's given me with her.
This is going to sound cliche~sorry~I've been in a rather pensive mood this week. But take time to stop. Look around you. This world is full of wonder. Rose got a butterfly habitat for her birthday. We got the caterpillars in the mail, and have been watching them spin into chrysalids. Awesome.
Find something to marvel at this week. And be thankful...I'll start. I'm thankful Thomas and Anna are best friends. I'm thankful for family. I'm thankful for a smart, resilient husband who provides for his family~even in hard times. I'm thankful for a healthy Lucy and a curious Rose. I'm thankful for a supportive church community, and for God's grace and forgiveness.
With much love,
11 comments:
No words Katie, you said it all.
thank you katie, i needed that.
I second what Stephanie says. Tears in my eyes...
Thanks for the reality check.....
Thanks for that post Katie - Remind me of it the next time I start complaining - which, unfortunatly will probably be too soon.
Thanks!
I am thankful for your friendship..
Amen, sister! Thanks for a new perspective...
I read the Bring the Rain blog too. Now I'm hooked on the guy who lost his wife after giving birth to their daughter. Reading those blogs really makes me realize how much I have and how thankful I should be that I have a healthy, happy family and life.
Thanks Katie! Your name is one of my most favorite names! I lurk on your site sometimes too! It doesn't take long to realize we have little to complain about, it is just so EASY to let my mouth run away with the complaints!
I am thankful to know a smart woman (that's you Katie...lol) that can write a post that makes us all stop and think! Well Done!
Post a Comment