Thursday, September 25, 2008

13 days...

That's how long the lights were out. That's how long we had no fridge. That's how long the kids went without sleeping in their beds. That's how long we sweat our you-know-whats off in this house that got up to 88 degrees on most afternoons. 13 days ago Ike stormed onto the Texas coast leaving millions of people without power, water, phones, and for some, even houses.

For 13 days, I flipped the "lights on" every time I went to the bathroom--for naught. I shared a room--and sometimes a bed--with at least one of my children. I pushed the garage door opener every time I pulled into the driveway--for naught. I ate instant potatoes for lunch a couple times--just instant potatoes...with a side of instant potatoes. That's gross. And don't forget the instant coffee...

This experience has shown me how much I have taken the little things for granted. Things like the vacuum cleaner and my "noise maker" (the white noise machine I can't sleep without). Cold drinks and the news. Those two hours every night that Jeremy and I have together when the kids are asleep--watching tv, talking, laughing, sharing an ice cold Diet Coke with lime.

My lights came on just in time for Grey's. Pass the Diet Coke~~it's a wonderful night.

Photobucket

7 comments:

parsonsfamily said...

so happy for you!!! I can't imagine...and not to change the subject, but weren't you a little disappointed in Grey's?

Chic Mama said...

Woo-hoo Katie...Let there be light!

Lauren said...

I'm so glad you have electricity again! I've missed your emails and blogs!!!! Love you!

Kate said...

SO glad that your power is back on! We still have friends with no power. Enjoy the a/c!

Kimberly said...

Send those electricity vibes my way...we are still waiting for the light!

MELANIE said...

YIPPEEEEE!! So glad you can hopefully gain some sense of normalcy after so long without it. Love you all!!

Tammy said...

no fair - i still don't have lights!! happy for you though!