Monday, March 3, 2008

A Walmart Moment

Okay, so we had a "Walmart Moment." We went to get Thomas a new bike for his birthday. It was already 8:00, and practically bedtime. So, that might have been mishap number 1. We got there, and Jeremy tried to put a dollar in the machine to rent one of those Wiggles carts that sings to your children and keeps them occupied while you shop. It wouldn't take his dollar, so the host told us to just take the cart. Rose and Anna were in the cart, we were ready to go to the bike section, and the cart started talking to me. Something about putting on the brakes...but I was busy trying to get the girls to stop fighting to really pay attention.

Now we're on the bike aisle, and Thomas is looking for the perfect bike. We couldn't get the bike seats to adjust, and as I said, it was now after 8, and apparently the bike department helper had gone home. We called for help--we needed an allen wrench. The cart is still talking, so this time I decided to listen. I guess these carts have some sort of censor, and it 'knew' that it wasn't paid for, so it was telling me that I had a few seconds to return it or the brakes would be locking the cart in place. Great.

SO, the inevitable happened. The cart locked up. We couldn't move it at all, it quit singing, and the girls were both screaming at each other at the tops of their lungs. Where's the lady w/ the wrench?!? Oh my dear sweet goodness. I couldn't let Rose out to roam the store, because, let's remember that I'm too big to be chasing her around--especially that late at night. Meanwhile, Thomas is trying out a bike that's just a little too big for him.

A lady shows up with the wrench, we lower the seat, and just decide that this bike is not the right fit for Thomas. After all of this hassle, we just picked another bike that needed no adjusting at all. Of course. So I get the girls situated in the "stolen" Wiggles cart that is locked. And we're pushing with all our mights to get it back to the front of the store. No telling what people are thinking. Well, they're probably thinking, "Those idiots tried to get away with not paying to rent that Wiggles cart...suckers."

Okay, as we were leaving the bike aisle, I started accusing Thomas of tooting. It smelled, and recently, he's usually the culprit. He kept denying, and I kept accusing. Well, as Jeremy lifted Rose out of the cart, we realized that it was actually HER. (My apologies to Thomas.)

Jeremy told me to pay for the bike, and he was going to take Rose to the car to change her diaper. I knew there was one more diaper in the car. And like 2 wipes. When we got close enough to the car to smell the diaper (we were down wind) and hear Jeremy's frustrated grunts, I knew something must have happened. The diaper--our ONLY diaper--had broken. The velcro tab pulled right off. So, here we are: 20 minutes from home, in a Walmart parking lot, way too late for a school night (yes, it was a school night and it was nearing 9:00), and our baby's diaper is hanging off her little bottom. I remembered I had the camera, so I just had to get a picture.

It was a Walmart moment I'll treasure forever.

3 comments:

MELANIE said...

hee hee hee. I'm so glad you had your camera!

the deKorne family said...

were you at the woodlands wal mart or 2920? :) wish i could have been there!

Naomi said...

Good to hear from you. Hilarious story! Cute kids. They are growing up so quickly. I enjoyed catching up on your family's lives. Keep in touch!