Saturday, September 10, 2011

Are you ready for some football?

When Thomas was a baby, he and I went for a walk every morning. I have such special memories of our walks. It was just Thomas and me (and sometimes Mack). We would look for cats and squirrels and school buses every day. Our dog, Happy even followed us home from one of those walks, and now she's been in our family for nine years.

We would pass houses with Klein Oilers signs proudly displayed in the yard. I figured it must be for PeeWee football, but could not fathom being the parent of a child old enough for football. I could not fathom being a parent who would put a Klein Oilers sign in her flower bed.

Well, baby boy grew up. He started asking if he could play football. "Real football. Tackle football." Next thing I know, he's in conditioning camp in July, he's practicing 3-4 days a week, he has a jersey with his name on it, I'm "liking" Klein Oiler Football on Facebook, and lo and behold...I have a Klein Oilers sign in my flower bed.
His team won their first game today. They beat the Klein Rams 20-15. This has been quite an experience. Thomas plays split end and safety. He has memorized his play book. He has bruises up and down his arms. He has met new friends from his team. And he really likes it.



So all you mamas of baby boys...don't blink. Because they go from stroller buddies learning new words and toddling around to running 14 Double Lead Reverse on a snap count of 2 in the blink of an eye.

7 comments:

Jennifer said...

Seriously. And do I have to learn about positions and plays now? Dave says yes. It seems daunting to me.

the deKorne family said...

Wow. He is so cute. Crazy. Maybe he will live up to his middle name! :)

MELANIE said...

Wow. Can't believe how grown up Thomas looks. Handsome boy.

Mama/Linda said...

That's my handsome grandson! So proud of him (and you for "liking" it now)!

Lauren said...

He is soooo handsome! I love this post!
(Although....I wish you had talked about "Pump up the Rams!" Maybe I should make a song like that for my school! We are the Rams, too!)

Susan said...

I am with Lauren..I might go to a Rams game just to hear that classic.

Thomas is adorable..inside and out..

parsonsfamily said...

Wow. I loved that post. I'm at that point where I'm thinking the same thing you did on those walks. Now I'm going to avoid blinking.