Then I remember the fumble, followed by an eruption of cheers from the crimson and white. The band was playing, but it wasn't our band. I remember the sweet dad in front of me and his eternal optimism...he never quit telling his son to keep his chin up. I loved him.
I (barely) remember the final interception from our young second-stringer. My head was in a haze. I remember the hot tears on my cold cheeks. I remember the weepy sounds I let escape, knowing no one would hear me in that stadium. I remember those beloved Horns giving it all they had. They played their hearts out, just to have them crushed. I remember thinking It wasn't supposed to be this way. Not like this.
I remember the end. The confetti was everywhere and it was red. Not orange. I remember the SEC chants, and rolling my eyes. I was a mess. I remember straining to hear The Eyes of Texas from the black hole that was my seat in the Rose Bowl with my Horns held high. I remember the mean, offensive song and the Houndstooth-clad fans singing it in our faces, pointing and cavorting. I remember Jeremy telling them how he felt about that.
But then I saw this. Folks, this is how you lose a game. No excuses. No whining. Just praising God and the other team. Colt McCoy is a winner for the way he lost on Thursday night. It was a joy watching him play these last four years.
4 comments:
Katie..I know it hurt...I was rooting for y'all...I really was. I remember my senior year when we were outscored playing against UT at Kyle Field. One of the worst nights of my life...but life still went on afterwards. Man it hurt...but you win some, you lose some.
And you're right. McCoy is a real class act...right up until the end. Some of the most gracious words I've ever heard.
Oh, that was heartbreaking for Colt to not be able to play!! :( What an awesome kid he is and an incredible player. His parents must be so proud of him! Wish the outcome had been different for everyone! \m/ I know y'all love those Longhorns and am so sad right there with you. (As always, great post.)
Katie - hate that we didn't get to see the game over here. Was keeping up with the last quarter thanks to Jennifer. That was an amazing interview with Colt. You are a true fan.
Katie....I love this post. I think it is my favorite one I have ever read! I love Colt McCoy and the Longhorns and to read what you felt being there. You are so right, though, and I said it all last Friday and all weekend: No excuses, no whining....stay classy! And THAT is why I love Longhorns!!!
Post a Comment