My middle daughter really is mine. I mean, I was
pretty sure she was mine even before I birthed all 9 pounds of the hemerroid-inducing infant. But there have been moments when I haven't been too sure.

Even as a newborn, Rose had a different quality than the rest of our little crew. That beautiful baby was quiet and cuddly. She is intuitive like her daddy and grandmother. She is sneaky and shy like her aunt. She's always been quite the enigma--my earliest to talk, but only those in her special circle know and hear her often; she was a social, interactive baby, then shifted to a wary, introverted toddler.
Then, in the car today, something happened to convince me that this child--this beautiful, bashful, Chick-fil-a Cow-fearing, Olivia-the-Pig-loving three-year old is mine.
She harmonized to Major Tom by Peter Schilling.
It was beautiful. You know at the end, when he sings, "calling, calling hooooooooooooome..." She joined right in...in perfect harmony. My heart swelled. I grew up listening to a harmony-loving mother. My alto-singing Mama always sang harmony along with melodic 60s groups like Simon and Garfunkel and The Everly Brothers. And it stuck with me. I'm drawn to music with pretty harmony, like Indigo Girls or Nickel Creek, but I would maybe harmonize to MC Hammer's Too Legit to Quit if you wanted me to. ;)

Rose's (and her mama's) current favorite is
Joshua Radin. With haunting lyrics and a voice like honey...mmm-mmm, girl. She's got excellent taste! It's a pleasure connecting with her through music. Maybe one day we'll harmonize together. :)
7 comments:
Aw...she's such a cutie pie!
A girl after her Nana's heart!! Can't wait to hear her sing (and sing along with her!)
That's so cute! Maybe we can Brady and Rose to sing together--Brady sings right on key :) I don't know what sneaky shy aunt you're referring to...Jennifer? ha
j/k ;)
i know you will! you can be the next judds. ps-she is seriously beautiful.
Sign her up for the cherub choir!! By the way, those pictures of her are soooo cute!
And she's mine too. :) Tell her I love her.
HAHA! People make fun of me for harmonizing to things....I even harmonize to "Mattress Firm" jingles!
Love it!
Post a Comment