Saturday, August 16, 2014

Staycation Day 2

August 12--Memorial Park, Houston Fire Museum, Health Museum

First up, we found a HUGE park across I-10 from Anna.  Memorial Park has the Houston Arboretum and Nature center, golf course, tennis courts, running trails, etc.  But my kids just cared about the cool playground and the Smoothie King.  When my kids go to a new playground, they always make an obstacle course and time each other on it.  It makes me smile.  They earned their first smoothie from Smoothie King.  :)
 Next up:  The Fire Museum.  It's housed in Fire Station No. 7 built in 1899.
 I love this original plan for the City of Houston.  It went from just a few blocks to the largest land mass city in the country.






Thomas standing at the 9/11 tribute at the Fire Museum
 Our original plan was to eat lunch at the Houston Food Truck Park so we could scratch it off our Summer Bucket List, but when we got there, there was only one food truck parked.  It was Cajun food, it was 100 degrees outside, and in a sketchy part of town.  We voted on Chili's instead, then headed over to the Health Museum.
 We loved this museum!  I can't believe we've never been there before.  Fun and hands-on.  We watched a 4D movie about germs.



 The Mirror of Heredity told Lucy that no one out of the 72,694 visitors was like her.  We already knew she was one of a kind!  We didn't need a computer to tell us that!
 This machine measured brain waves, and the stiller you could make your brain, the ball would move to your side and you were the winner.  I wish I had this in my car.  "Okay kids!  Who can make their brain waves the stillest?!?!"



No comments: