Sunday, October 14, 2012

A letter to some babies I can't wait to meet

Dear Hazel and Owen,

In a month (or maybe less) you will make your grand entrance into this crazy little world.  You will cry, you will scream, you will coo.  But no matter what the sound, it will be a symphony to your parents' ears.  And the first person to tell Hazel's hungry cry from Owen's tired cry from the other room will be your mommy.  She's amazing.  You will know her as the kisser of boo-boos, the keeper of the milk and juice and fruit snacks, your comfort.  But remember that she is even more amazing than all of that.

I met your mommy, Taylor, on the first day of 7th grade.  She had a gift.  She knew who she was and she had a voice.  She had a confidence about her that I only wished I had and that would take me many years to acquire.  She was an old soul.

I love your mommy's laugh.  I can hear it in my head even as I type this today.  I got to know that laugh well as we ventured through high school.  Your mommy and I complimented each other perfectly.  She always knew when to have fun and when it was time to be responsible.  It was very black and white for her, whereas I coalesced the two ideas into one big gray area most of the time.  Teachers saw this in her, which is how your mommy became one of the best student Technical Directors and Stage Managers that Richland High School Theatre ever saw.  She would occasionally put me in my place being said TD or SM, but would cut up with me in the evening on one of many sleepovers we shared.

Now, sadly, the day will come when you will look at your mommy and think, "Man, my mom is so uncool."  I know, because it happens to everyone.  And on those days I want you to know these things.  Your mommy was so brave that she spent an entire semester in Edinburgh, Scotland in college...all by herself...just packed up and went.  She taught life skills classes to kids with disabilities, and was so good at it she was awarded teacher of the year.  She knows what it means to be a good friend.  I have never seen her give up on somebody....ever.  She loves your daddy to the moon and back.  I have never, ever heard her say anything negative about him.  She raises him up.  She's an awesome wife.

Your mommy has been quietly, patiently waiting for you two, precious babies.  She has joyfully loved all of my babies even when her heart was yearning for her own.  And now, the time has come.  God's perfect time.  It's perfect because it was you two He had in mind all these years.  He wove you in your mother's womb, but even before that, He knew you.

You can tell from this letter that I think pretty highly of your mother.  Never forget that God chose her to be your perfect Mommy.  Be nice this first year, and let her get some sleep at night, okay?  Have we got a deal?

Until we meet for real, I remain one of your mommy's biggest fans,
Katie


4 comments:

Mama/Linda said...

Beautiful post, Katie. You two have a special friendship that is hard to duplicate. And I can't wait to meet these 2 special gifts from God!

the deKorne family said...

So sweet, Katie!!! Can't wait to hear about those babies. :)

Susan said...

That. was. awesome. I cant wait to hear all about them too..

Lauren said...

Okay. Seriously? You are such an amazing soul! Your heart is as huge as the ocean! I love you and Taylor's friendship and am so blessed to know her through you! I can't wait to meet those two cuties, either!!!