The lead story on our news last night was not about the Rangers winning game 5 of the World Series. It was not about Libya. It was not about anyone occupying Wall Street. Nope. It was--cue the deep, dramatic newsman's voice--the HOUSTON MOSQUITO INFESTATION. That's big stuff, I tell you. But for me, it's not just the 12 mosquito bites on my legs I've been worried about. It's the ants in my kitchen and living room. They aren't little sugar ants. They're...FIRE ANTS. Do you know how many crumbs six people can drop in one meal? Enough for a fire ant feast. Believe me. And not only are they making off with dropped morsels, they bite me when I try to sweep them up. So, the Bug Man came today. He helped with my ant situation. Then he told me to get rid of the firewood on the side of our house ASAP because it had--cue the voice again--TERMITES. But wait. We don't have firewood. We've never even had a fire in our fireplace. Oh, you mean the cut up logs from the trees that came down during Hurricane Ike in 2008? Yeah. We're lazy. And there's nothing like admitting it to the complete stranger who's come to spray the fire ants.
Last Wednesday, out of the blue, my DSL and home phone stopped working. So I got to do my favorite thing...call AT&T. Because who doesn't love automated instructions on how to troubleshoot your line? And of course there's a selection for "if you don't have a dial tone" and "if your DSL is down," but not both. Long story short, someone finally came yesterday and discovered that the temporary line that was just sitting on top of my grass along my fence was "chopped up real good by a weed whacker or a lawn mower." So, what did he do? He put another temporary line on top of my grass along my back fence. I asked him when something more permanent could be in place. "Oh, I don't know. I don't work this area," he answered, standing on my back porch, after working "the area" for an hour.
Where have I been? There is a Yo Gabba Gabba episode (episode 3, season 1, I have now discovered. Who knew there were so many forums on the internet about this television show?) that has a very special DJ Lance Dance. It's called The Baby Isaac. I NEED this song. Oh, DJ Lance. You are creepy and spectacular and I love you.
4 comments:
I hate bugs. Gross. Glad you got some reinforcement. And you know we'd be right there with you on the "firewood." Best wishes for less bites and more reliable technology.
Uh, fire ants and termites? I'd be having nightmares! Love the Baby Isaac dance though.
I'm with you. I hate mosquitoes...and yeah, 7 people can drop a real party on the floor, perfect for fire ants to feast on.
I've discovered one cheap remedy. Get some baby powder and sprinkle it liberally where the ants are coming into your house. I put it down all along the base of the back door, around that corner of the house, and the bottom of the kitchen window where they were coming in. I even opened the window and sprinkled more baby powder in the window track. Problem solved. I've not seen a single ant in about a month. I am nuts about ants on the floor nowadays, especially with Theresa crawling!
That video was something else?! :) I'm not quite sure I can do the Baby Isaac successfully yet, but I'll keep practicing.
Post a Comment