Then God cackled and was like, "I'll show you that I do know what I'm doing. Don't get ahead of yourself. Or me." Next thing I know I have two little guys in my house with a Y chromosome, tooting, smiling, and charming their way into my heart.
When Thomas was born, I fell in love instantly like all moms do. I was so proud of him, and I wanted everyone to know it. I cherished affirmation from others that he was cute and smart and adorable and you name it. It made me feel good.
Fast forward 9 1/2 years. I love Isaac. I am enjoying him more than I could have imagined. He's my best pal. (Or as Jeremy puts it... iPal 5.0) I don't need people to affirm that he's smart or cute or an easy baby. It just doesn't matter to me. Don't get me wrong. I'm flattered when people say nice things about my kids. I'm just more comfortable in my role as mommy than I used to be, I guess.
I had a dentist appointment on Wednesday morning, and Jeremy was taking Isaac to work with him to help me out. As I was packing the diaper bag, Jeremy said he'd just take Isaac for the whole day to give me a break. I literally started sweating and could feel my face flush. Uh, apparently I wasn't ready for such a long separation. I had to convince Jeremy it wasn't him, it was me. Seriously. What is wrong with me?!?!
Here is a picture I took of Jeremy and Thomas after a football game a couple weeks ago. It was after a loss (the Oilers' only loss so far this season). Thomas started at Free Safety that day, and was blaming himself--and only himself--for the loss. If he hadn't missed that one tackle... Jeremy was trying to console him. I love this photo.
3 comments:
Love both those boys so much! Never having boys, Thomas has taught me a lot! And Brady....
great thoughts from a "boy mom"
Love this. I think I feel the same way since Ben was born. God knew what he was doing...
Post a Comment