Me: Mama, did you get me deodorant at the store?
Mama: Did you put it on the list?
Me: Well, no.
Mama: If it's not on my list, it doesn't make it in the cart.
Me: But we had a 20 minute conversation about deodorant.
Mama: Not on the list.
Ugh. You know what happens to that girl twenty years later when Mama isn't in charge of the grocery shopping? She forgets deodorant. Sometimes for weeks at a time. I tell you what though. You should see how far I can make a tube of deodorant go. But, I digress.
One of my sisters inherited the mean list-making skills. She still makes Christmas lists I think. And she used to have a list in her closet of the outfits she wore each day so as not to wear the same thing twice in a two-week period. I would never think of outing her on my blog, although I think it's safe to assume she doesn't need a list in her closet anymore because she wears scrubs to work.
This list-making gene skipped me. Once a year I make a grocery list. I either leave it at home, in the car, or inadvertantly give it to a kid to hold. Because that makes sense. Once a year I also try a To-Do list. I usually end up just sitting there staring at it, thinking of other things to add to it, or I end up doing one thing on the list, only to get distracted by something else, and forget all about the list I started. (If you give a pig a pancake, anyone??)
Check out Cindi's lists. This is amazing. She does one of these every day?!?! I'm just in awe.
I'd like to think that if I were more of a list person, I might have told myself to blog more in February and March. I would have told myself to put the laundry away before the pile became an entity of its own. I probably would have gotten my dad's birthday present to him on time. And, well, whatever. Now on to things I really know:
I know I had a fun visit in Florida last month with Heidi and the gang.
I know Thomas had fun with his friends on his birthday. I took this picture of them right before they went in to play laser tag. I remember thinking, "Look how grown up they're getting."
That was just before the high school JROTC group showed up to play laser tag with them. Seriously? The boys played laser tag with a junior army. Literally.
6 comments:
Want copies of my mean grocery list? You crack this Nana up.
that's really funny. you did an excellent list of thomas things, and for jeremy's birthday. maybe you prefer lists that highlight how wonderful people are-which is way better than a list with boring old deodorant. and i should put "wear deodorant" on my list bc sometimes i forget that even if i have it. love you, loved having you, and those are the cutest soccer players!
This made me chuckle..because I was checking blogs..while I was waiting for my grocery list to print.
And, the JROTC picture..cracked me up.. :)
Great post.
I didn't get that gene, either! I try SO hard, but never can stick with a list! Funny post! You are so creative!
aI cannot imagine going to the grocery store without a grocery list. I guess that's why I get along so well with your sister who wears scrubs to work every day.
Totally laughed out loud. Always do. Always keep my list--for the store, for what to do tomorrow, for what Christmas presents I bought for and what were give to...
:) I definitely got the mean list making gene...
Post a Comment