Friday, December 18, 2009

Christmas Cheers and Christmas Sneers

I love Christmas with the best of them. I love decking the halls and singing the tunes and putting peppermint mocha in my coffee. But this time of year, there are some things that send chills down my spine--and not in a good way. (And don't ask. I don't know what makes me so sardonic.)

Christmas Cheers: Josh Groban's O Holy Night. It can't be beat.

Christmas Sneers: The song Christmas Shoes. I honestly can't take it anymore. I hear "Sir I wanna buy these shoes for my momma please," and my hand automatically reaches for the dial.

Christmas Cheers: I love enthusiastic Salvation Army bell ringers. The one at Walmart is one of Lucy's favorites, and she even gets a "Ho! Ho! Ho! Merry Christmas!" from Lucy every time we walk in. (And that is a lot since it's almost Christmas and I do not habitually make shopping lists.)

Christmas Sneers: Kay Jewelers television commercials. I practically get tears of embarrassment every time one of these comes on. Have you seen the storm one? How about the sign language one? Sheesh.

Christmas Cheers: I love Christmas lights, garland, receiving Christmas cards, our Advent Chain. I love baking Christmas cookies, chex mix, and sausage cheese balls. You know...all the holly jolly stuff. It warms my soul.

Christmas Sneers: I don't enjoy Gloria Estefan on the radio. Ever, really. But especially right after Josh Groban's O Holy Night.

Photobucket

7 comments:

Jennifer said...

Thank you for leaving Dan out of it.

Anonymous said...

Nice blog. At Christmas play and make good cheer, For Christmas comes but once a year. Have a wonderful Christmas. Ihampers.co.uk

the deKorne family said...

Can we add Mariah Carey's All I Want for Christmas is You to the cheers list? I remember singing that to my 2nd graders at Thompson. I unabashedly love it. And hate Gloria Estefan and Christmas shoes. I love you.

parsonsfamily said...

Oh my goodness I hate that Kay Jewelers storm commercial....I can't even watch it all the way through..have to change the channel.

Jenny said...

Good list. :)

Abby said...

Ack! Yuck! Ew! to both the Christmas Shoes and the sign language commercial. Worst ever!

Caroline George said...

I second everything in your list ... However I third, fourth, fifth etc the Christmas Shoes...make it stop!
Merry Christmas!!!