As we were walking in, my uncle noticed a bumper sticker on a nearby car. It read, "My other car is a sleigh." Hmmm. That's weird, we all thought. Let's go get some grub!
Well, we made it inside, ordered our food, and commenced to finding a table. When, lo and behold, what is happening in one of the party rooms? Why, a Santa convention, of course! Right before our eyes--many Santas (too many to count), in their street clothes, enjoying a nice Fuddruckers burger. They were with their wives, discussing (I assume) what worked--and what didn't work--during this last Christmas season.
Now, don't get me wrong. I was completely jazzed by this turn of events...at first. I was tickled to know that the Santas get together occasionally for fellowship. I wanted SO badly to take a good picture for my blog. Then I remembered sweet Rose.
Sweet Rose with the Santa-phobia. Darling Rose with the Masklophobia. Her face flushed. Her body started shaking. As soon as she saw that room full of Santas, she completely lost her appetite (and her mind), and froze to her seat. She cowered behind Nana--especially when Santa Bruce came to refill his Coke. This is the child who is stunned that I take an exercise class in the same room in which she
I don't know how to break this news to Anna, of course. When we finally get to Disney World--one of these years--I'm not sure her sister will share in her excitement. I've never been there--but it's common knowledge that you'll meet a costumed "friend" at every turn. Yikes.
(This is the only picture I got of the Santas. I was nervous to get too close...)

6 comments:
Poor Rose was starving later, so I (Nana)fed her! She was fine and dandy ("like a hard-candy Christmas!) with no Santa in sight....
Poor baby girl! I can see why a trip to Disneyworld might tramatize her for life and require extensive therapy.
But you know...all my kids were scared of costumes at some point. What helped was buying dress-up clothes. Once they understood there was a real person inside the costume, they were hardly ever afraid anymore. Even Christina (at 4.5) says, "Mommy, there's a person in there, right?"
Next time you see someone in costume, see if they can take off the head/mask so she can see that it's not real, and it's a person in disguise.
Poor baby! That makes me sad! :(
Poor Rose! What I do think is funny, that you ran into a Santa meeting. I mean what are the chances?
Poor Rose!! I'm just picturing a whole room full of Santas. That is hilarious...and probably hard to explain to the kiddos that still believe in him:)
What DOES Santa eat, other than cookies?!? (And Fudd has GOOD cookies...)
Post a Comment