Saturday, February 16, 2013

A Traditional Valentine's Day Sock Hop


A few weeks ago the kids were told that in lieu of Valentine's parties at school, there would be a school-wide Sock Hop.  Because, you know, there's nothing that a kid born in the 2000's can relate to more than dancing to music from the middle of last century. 
 
Then there's the clothing issue.  What will they wear?  We don't have poodle skirts, and I'm not equipped to whip those out.  But they want a poodle skirt.  Every little girl wants a poodle skirt on 50's day.  At least with Thomas, it was a non-issue.  He has arrived at the "Mom, that's lame" mindset, so no T-bird jacket and slicked hair for him.  Whew.  Dodged that bullet.
 
Then there was Rose on February 12.  "Mommy, can you come to my sock hop?"  And then Anna, "If you go to her sock hop, are you coming to mine?"  I looked at Thomas.  "Please don't come to my sock hop," he pleaded. 
 
Valentine's morning arrived, the girls put on their red and pink heart shirts, er, no...they put on their white t-shirts, rolled up jeans, and a scarf in their hair.  The day had finally arrived.  The day that they would put their Grease Dance Wii skills to the test with Jailhouse Rock, Ba ba ba ba Barbara Ann, and Sugar Sugar. 
 
All cynicism aside (well, almost all), it was cute.  The whole grade level was in the gym at the same time, so it was essentially one big line dance after another.  The kids even got to teach their parents how to Hand Jive, so I'm glad I was there.
 
5th grade just happened to come right after 1st grade.  I thought I would just stay and say hi to Thomas and ask him if he was sure he didn't need a Hand Jive partner.  ;)  He assured me he wouldn't be needing my services.

 

Rose and her Hand Jive partners

Anna and Me at the sock hop

Sock Hop!

These two love each other so much.  Isaac saw Rose from across the gym, and made a bee line to her right in the middle of a dance. 

No comments: