Saturday, June 5, 2010

When I Am An Old Woman

I shall wear purple. pink shorts and garden shoes.
I shall always greet my great-grandchildren with a warm smile and wafer cookies.

When I am an old woman, my yard will be the envy of all my neigbors. It will be colorful, luscious, and weed-free.

When I am just a few months shy of 90, I shall say to my grandson, "Oh honey, I planted 180 flowers in this bed alone. I never know how many springs I'll have left. I have to make every one count."

When I am an old woman, I can only hope to be the inspiration that Mamaw is. She loves people and nature. She is accepting and generous. She is wise and gentle.

She takes nothing for granted and makes every second count. She is amazing.


Photobucket

7 comments:

the deKorne family said...

so special that you have her!! she is darling, and those beds are amazing. i don't know how she does the weeds thing...ours are overgrown!! ps-your girls are always dressed SO cute. it's kind of intimidating. :)

MELANIE said...

Mamaw is pretty awesome!! Her garden is too!! :)

Abby said...

She is precious. And those flower beds...wow. Does she do any side jobs??

Mama/Linda said...

What a nice tribute to a sweetheart of a lady!

Erin said...

Katie, this is so sweet! I can only hope to be as awesome as she is at 90!

Jennifer said...

This made me cry. What a perfect tribute to a near-perfect Mamaw. She is amazing and I'm extremely blessed to have her.

Anonymous said...

Katie, even though I am not related to Mamaw, I can see what a wonderful person she is, and a very busy one. Can you imagine what she accomplished in her early years? Jennifer wrote a poem for her several years ago that makes me cry. If you have not read it, get out your hankies before you begin. I believe Mamaw has passed on the love, caring, and energy to her children and grandchildren. Most of all, she has allowed God to shine through her. What a blessing she is.